Search This Blog

Corregidor Island: A Walk in the Past with Sun Cruises, Inc.

"Corregidor came from a spanish word "Corregir" which means "to correct"
Corregidor Island is just a stone throw away from Manila (Approx. 1 hour travel time). But I bet only a few travelers have been there.

It is an island situated at the entrance of Manila Bay in the southwestern part of Luzon Island, 48 km to be exact. Whilst its proximity to Province of Bataan, Corregidor and other islands around it falls under the jurisdiction of Cavite Province. So yeah, I’ve been living my life like a fool thinking that Corregidor is part of Bataan. Please tell me I’m not the only one. Hmmmm. Am I? 😓😓😓


Tadpole-Shaped 

Corregidor is much nearer geographically (it is 3 nautical miles away) and, historically, to Mariveles (Bataan). But it belongs to Cavite, being under the territorial jurisdiction and administrative management of Cavite City.  When you are on the island, you can see more of Bataan than Cavite City. -Business Mirror
WHY VISIT CORREGIDOR ISLAND?

At first, I really had no interest visiting Corregidor because I’m not into historical tour, I prefer adventure per se. But just as I stepped my foot on the said island, I told myself “Great decision my dear. Great decision”

Okay. So let’s start with the basics. How to get there? 

GOING TO CORREGIDOR (DIRECTIONS AND EXPENSES)

Corregidor is just one hour away from Manila via Ferry. The most convenient way to reach this place is through booking a tour with Sun Cruises, Inc. The ferry departs twice on weekdays and thrice on weekends.

CORREGIDOR DAY TOUR PACKAGES AND RATES* (Effective January 01, 2017)
*Rates subject to change without prior notice

Day Tour Weekday Adult Rate – Php 2,550.00/person
Day Tour Weekend Adult Rate – Php 2,749.00/person
Day Tour Weekday/Weekend Child Rate – Php 1,500.00/person
*Weekend rate applies to Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Trips

Inclusion: Roundtrip Ferry Transfers; Island Entrance Fee; Guided Island Tour onboard a tram; Buffet Lunch

Exclusion: Php 30 terminal fee at One Esplanade Terminal

They also have promos every rainy season so just like their facebook page/website. Almost half of the regular rate (Php 1,550) with the same inclusions!!! They also have barkada/family packages if you plan to go there as a group.

For Booking and Reservations:

Sun Cruises Reservations Office:
Address: Fernando Ma. Guerrero corner Paseo Palisoc, CCP Complex, Pasay City
Telephone Numbers: (+632) 834-6857, (+632) 966-9391 to 92
Cellphone Numbers: 0917-513-2625, 0922-337-0068
The other option is from Bataan. Corregidor is just 15-20 mins boat ride from Brgy. Cabcaben. But guys, I recommend booking a tour with Sun Cruises because it’s the best historical tour you’ll ever join in your lifetime! Well, at least from what I've experienced 😁

Let me tell you how my day went with Historical Tour of Sun Cruises. 🚢

At 6:00 in the morning (Saturday). I went to Sun Cruises Office in One Esplanade Terminal located near Mall of Asia. On top of the Day Tour Rate, you must pay Php 30 for the Terminal Fee.

MV Sun Cruises has a carrying capacity of 220 passengers. It has two decks, the pantry is located at the upper deck and the comfort rooms are located at the lower deck area. There are also seats outside the upper deck if you want to have a greater view of the ocean while it's sailing.

So, I seated on the lower deck for the first hour. It wasn’t my first time to ride a ferry but I felt dizzy along with the other passengers. The supposed to be one-hour travel time was extended to two hours because of the big waves that hindered a smooth sailing on our way to the Island.

The crews are very hospitable, giving dizzy passengers a piece of tissue with white flower and a plastic bag for vomiting passengers.

When I felt better, I went upstairs to experience outdoor cruising.


At 9:00, we finally arrived at the dock area. The tramvias (tour bus) were already waiting for us. There were a total of 7 tramvias. I was designated at Tram # 3 a tagalog speaking guide was assigned to us. I learned that there are 3 languages they cater Tagalog, English and Nihongo. Tagalog for the Filipinos, English for the English Speaking Foreigners and Nihongo for The Japanese Visitors. Sometimes there are also Filipino Visitors in the English guided tour but basically Japanese Visitors has their own guide whether they are a group of 3 or 10.

The Ruins 💓










Douglas Mc Arthur Monument where he uttered the words "I have returned"






With Kuya Gerry (driver) and Kuya Armando (Tour Guide)


Our guide’s name is Kuya Armando, he is a bubbly guide full of laughter and information/facts about the World War II. We went on one site to the other, making a 20-30 minutes stop each site for picture taking and mere understanding of the place. The tour lasted for about 5 hours. It was pretty much fast paced because you have a lot to see and learn.

For the lunch, its a buffet type! Half of what you pay is for the food so go eat! (I was so excited to eat because of the tiring tour so I forgot to take pictures of the food. Sorry!)

With all that I have learned from the historical tour, It made me wonder what am I doing on my high school days to not know about these things.  Aside from the knowledge it gave me, I love how they retained and not alter the historical structures.

I hate to saying this line but... Corregidor is a must place to visit!  C’mon guys, do you feel me?

Each area is just so beautiful and terrifying at the same time haunting you with horrifying stories that will give you the creeps.

At the end of the tour, guests has the option to avail of the “Lights and Sounds Show” which is a 20 to 30 minutes documentary show inside Malinta Tunnel. The tunnel which served as bomb proof shelter during World War II. The tunnel got its name from Filipino Word “Malinta” which means “Too many Leeches” because they found lots of leeches while building the tunnel way back in 1922. An additional of Php 200.00 for availing The Lights and Sounds Show. And as Kuya Armando said, its not everyday that you are in Corregidor so just give it a try.
Outside Malinta Tunnel

Malinta Tunnel Map.

Inside Malinta Tunnel
My Camera was already out of battery so that's the only picture I got inside and I also left my phone on our Tramvia Bus. Taking photos are allowed but recording videos is strictly prohibited. Also, The Lights and Sounds show is a project of Corregidor Foundation Inc. (CFI) and not of Sun Cruises. 

Yet another reason why I enjoyed Corregidor is the South Beach! All of the guest excluding me boarded the ferry back to Manila at 3:00pm but I decided to stay for one night. So yeah, I had the beach for myself! Thanks to my camera and tripod for my amazing photos.😀

Miss Universe Candidate # 0 😹








There is also an Adventure Tour that I was planning to do on my second day but unfortunately they don't allow rock climbing when its rainy. So I just really enjoyed the serenity that the beach area have given me. Below is the usual itinerary provided by Sun Cruises.

Day Tour Itinerary of Sun Cruises
7:00am   Check-in Sun Cruises Terminal
8:00am   ETD Manila
9:15am   ETA Corregidor
                 Start of Guided Island Tour via Tram
12:00nn  Buffet Lunch
01:00pm Continuation of the tour
3:00pm   ETD Corregidor
04:15pm   ETA Manila

Overnight Itinerary
Day 1
7:00am   Check-in Sun Cruises Terminal
8:00am   ETD Manila
9:15am   ETA Corregidor
                 Start of Guided Island Tour via Tram
12:00nn  Buffet Lunch
01:00pm Continuation of the tour
03:00pm Bye other guestssss; 
Accommodation Options:
Corregidor Inn  Php 5,000/night) 09175276350
Mac Arthurs Inn (Php 1,500/night)092255205611; 09063744809
Pitch a tent (FREE; Bring your own)
04:00     Free time (Swimming, Strolling etc.)
06:00     Dinner Time
08:00     Ghost Hunting (Inside Malinta Tunnel; Contact a guide before hand)
11:00     Sleeping time
Day 2
07:00    Breakfast
08:00    Free Time (Do whatever you want lol)
12:00    Lunch Time
01:00    Preparation to leave
02:30    Boarding Time
03:00    ETD Corregidor
04:15    ETA Manila

And this is one of my #backpackersdiaries. Thanks for reading! I hope you'll visit Corregidor soon!

Love,
Sara  

















































Tags:

Share:

2 comments

  1. I love reading your blogs best, you really have a wanderers heart. Is it true that your only using tripod this time? Good shots indeed.You gotta save pose on our travel soon (if and only if) I thought your with someone (while thinking you didn't even invited me. Lol) Kudos!

    Love,
    Bestfriend since 2008 (lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ha! Yes. I'm alone. You know naman loner forevs. Busy ka with boyfie kaya I didn't bother inviting you. Wag na tampo. Miss you!

      Delete