Search This Blog

Lessons I've learned from climbing Mt. Hapunang Banoi.


At the tip of Mt. Hapunang Banoi!


Mt. Hapunang Banoi is located in Rodriguez (Montalban) Rizal together with its neighbor mountains Mt. Pamitinan and Mt.Binacayan. Among these three mountains, Mt. Hapunang Banoi is the hardest, standing 517 MASL with a difficulty of 4/9.


My first ever hike last October 24, 2015 was supposed to be a trilogy of these mountains but unfortunately I wasn't able to climb Mt. Hapunang Banoi since my knees were already shaking and I don't want to force myself. I insisted that I will just wait for them at the junction. So instead of a trilogy, I only did a twin hike with Mt.Pamitinan and Mt. Binacayan. My co-participants were still proud of me knowing that it was my first time and was able to conquer two mountains in one day.

From that moment I made a promise to myself that I shall return and finish my unfinished business with Mt. Hapunang Banoi.

Lately,my best friend's office mates asked me to organize a climb for them, I saw this as a perfect timing to go back to my mother mountain since they wanted to climb a mountain very near the city and yep, we all know that Montalban is just a stone throw away from Manila. 

March 20, 2016 although it took me 6 months to go back t'was all worth it! I will now share the lessons I've learned from climbing this mountain.

1. WEAR PROPER FOOTWEAR

I was wearing my Sandugo Sandals during the hike and it doesn't feel good since the trail of Mt. Hapunang Banoi was mainly of big sharp rocks and limestones. There were numerous times that my feet was stricken. Nothing serious but if I was wearing a shoe it might be better. We should really be cautious with the kind of trail before deciding whether to use sandals or shoes. #CaseToCaseBasis

2. DON'T WEAR YOUR FAVORITE SHORT.

Because of the sharp rocks and limestones my shorts ended up like this. 

Won't be able to use this again. Huhu! :(

#Memorabilia

Our guide told me to sign and just leave my shorts at the nipa hut near the registration to serve as a memorabilia and a warning to everyone who will be climbing the said mountain. #NowANameLaterALegacy

3. IF YOU'RE TIRED JUST REST BUT DON'T QUIT.

One of my participant, Ronald wasn't feeling good even at the first parts of the trail. I think that was 30 minutes from the jump off pt. He insisted that he would not continue the hike anymore. Of course we don't want to force him if he's not really feeling well. Ron said that he'll just wait at the resting area until we come back. FASTFORWARD. We stayed at the summit for about an hour, when we were about to descend, we were surprised that Ron came! He told us that after regaining his energy, he continued the hike and joined the other groups. #JustDoIt

4. BE EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA CAREFUL.

We don't know when or where accidents will happen. Every mountain is difficult on its own ways. Another participant named Felmer had his first battle scar at his very first climb. Felmer and Mark was ahead of us so we didn't saw what exactly happened. But according to him, he lost his balance and slip thru the cliff part. Thank God, Kuya Isidro (The guide of the other group)was able to pull him before he actually fell to the cliff! #GodIsReallyGreat
"Yung feeling na akala ko talaga oras ko na. Kasi kung hindi tlaga ako nahila wala na ako dito"-Felmer
Thank God! Really! Anyway, you're still handsome with that battle scar!

5. LEARN HOW TO TRUST

Our guide has always been a helping hand to each and everyone of us but he noticed that every time he lends his hands to help me I always reject him. 

Non Verbatim Conversation with Kuya Lhiet.

Kuya Lhiet: Bakit hindi ka nagpapatulong?
Sara: Feeling ko kasi pag humawak ako sa kamay nyo mahihila ko po kayo. Di baleng ako na lang, wala lang madamay na iba. 
Kuya Lhiet: Guide nyo kami Mam. Di baleng kami ang masaktan wag lang kayo. Tiwala dapat.
Sara: Di naman sa walang tiwala Kuya. Kahit sa mga previous hikes ko hindi ako nagpapatulong kasi ayoko maka-hila. Hanggang kaya ko mag isa, gagawin ko. Kahit gumapang pa ko dyan. Sanay naman ako magisa. Haha.

Kuya Lhiet: Maganda yun na you're very strong at hindi pabebe. Pero katulad kanina, mas pinili mong gumapang sa batuhan kesa humawak sa kamay ko. Yan tuloy nangyari sa short mo Haha! Pag may nag offer ng tulong ibig sabihin handa sila sa kung anong mangyayari. Tiwala :)
Sara: Minsan na po kasi akong nagtiwala pero iniwan nya din ako. Hahahaha. LOL. Sige po susubukan ko na po next time na mag accept ng help mula sa ibang tao. 

Author's note: I really opt to share it in tagalog to explain it clearly. #HoldMyHandAndNeverLetItGo

So yeah , that's just some of the lessons I've learned when I had my revenge climb with Mt. Hapunang Banoi.

Few more tips:
1. Wear Gloves! You'll regret it big time if you don't.
2. Use higher sunscreen protection! I used sunblock SPF 40 but you can still clearly see the discoloration on my face and body.
Actual Itinerary:
4:00: ETD Cubao Farmers Market
4:45: Arrived at Brgy. Wawa DENR (Register)
5:00: Breakfast/ Warm Up
6:00: Start Ascend
7:15: Junction
8:30: Summit! (Picture taking and Nature Appreciation)
10:00: Start Descend
11:30:Junction
13:00: Wawa Dam (Lunch/Swim)
17:00: ETD
19:00: ETA Cubao Farmers Market

Below are some of our pictures during the hike.


Tricycle Topload!

Take one step at a time! #BuwisBuhay #Fearless

No filter. No edit. Just pure beauty of nature!

The lady and the sun <3

Gapang!

Selfie!

Group Shot at the Summit!

#BestfriendGoals

Rock Scrambling to the next level!



From junction, we traversed to wawa dam instead of back trail. Here are the pictures if you're thinking to traverse.

Fruits fruits fruits!

Carugo Falls! But since its already El Nino.There is no water.

Mahogany area. Best place to have your hammock party!

No words to describe.

The famous Wawa Dam!

Cottage Rental for Wawa Dam. 
Kuya Lhiet on his fearless photo! I wanted to do that shot but I can't. Huhu

Btw, I strongly recommend Kuya Lhiet Zata to be your guide! Actually all of the guides there are really approachable and funny. But if you want to have a contact before the hike proper, you can contact Kuya Lhiet with this number 09471685841.

Thanks for reading my blog! Comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!


Share:

1 comments

  1. As always, another great blog you have here B. Congrats on your successful climb. Next time I'll be going there with you.. Just have to finish this commitment I have. :)

    ReplyDelete