Search This Blog

Ahon Mountaineering Club offers Free Basic Mountaineering Course

I was exposed to the mountaineering world last year, climbed several mountains and met a lot of great people on the mountains. It was until last month when I decided that I should take a BMC (Basic Mountaineering Course). Luckily, I found “Ahon Mountaineering Club” which offers a free BMC.

Ahon Participants


What is BMC? Why attend a BMC?

Basic Mountaineering Course teaches the basics of mountaineering. It usually discuss the Leave No Trace (LNT) Principle, basic map navigation, basic first aid knowledge; climb planning, trail movement, basic climbing essentials, basic rope tying etc.

I decided to take a BMC because I know this will further enhance my knowledge about mountaineering. BMC also gave me basic skills that I can use for future inevitable incidents.  

How long is a BMC?

It depends on which mountaineering club you decide to join. Some offer two days training, others offer three to six months, and some may also take a year or so. The 2-day training is usually an overview and only the basics. Others who offers months/year training is an advance and extensive lectures/training about mountaineering.

How much does BMC cost?

It depends. The lowest that I have seen costs Php 600 only for a two-day training. While the months/year may costs thousands of pesos.

On the other hand, Ahon Mountaineering Club held a free BMC as they celebrate their 5th year Anniversary. We only paid for our personal expenses like the transportation, own food, registration to denr, and was only asked to pay Php 200 only for our BMC certificate and for the venue that we rented.

My BMC experience with AHON MOUNTAINEERING CLUB.

Let me share my BMC experience with the Ahon Mountaineering Club. We had our BMC at Mt.Gulugod Baboy located in Anilao, Batangas last February 27 to 28. There are about 30 participants who joined the training.

Since this is a free BMC, we were required to bring the following: rope, triangular bandage and a compass for our own use and hands on training.

Mr. James Cariaso, the president/founder of Ahon started the BMC with the Leave No Trace Principle. LNT is a set of guidelines that every mountaineer should know by heart. Planning ahead, travel and camp on durable surfaces, disposing of waste properly, leaving what you find, respect for wildlife and being considerate with the locals and other visitors.

Sir James Cariaso:President of Ahon Mountaineering Club

After the lecture, we had a mini activity. A role playing that will demonstrate the leave no trace principle. 


Basic First Aid Training

Dr. Jayvee Guerrero of Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center (JRRMMC) took over with the discussion. He taught each and every one of us the basic first aid techniques. This is my favorite part since I learned on how to give correct and proper bandage, how to give compression and CPR.

Dr. Jayvee demonstrating on how to give the right compression for unconscious person

My co-participant Kath giving me a head bandage


After the lectures, we ascended to the campsite near the summit of Mt. Gulugod Baboy. Pitched our tents, had our dinner, socials and then slept.


At the morning, Sir James taught us the basic climbing essentials, proper loading of backpack, basic knot tying, compass reading, trail movements and other pointers. I am just giving the topics that were taught to us, please bear with me, I’m not going into the details of what I have learned because I want you to attend an actual BMC and have hands on training about the basics.

Basic Knot Tying

Best way to pack a backpack. Although Sir James emphasized that there is no wrong way of packing a backpack as long as you are comfortable with it. These are just pointers. ;)

After reaching the summit of Mt.Gulugod Baboy we descended to our event area. We had an assessment of everything we have learned. Had actual hands on exam for the knot tying, bandage and compass reading. 

Tenen! The moment  we've all been waiting for! The awarding of certificates!

Sir James Cariaso and me with my BMC Certificate. :) Yey!

FEEDBACK

Overall, I enjoyed the two-day BMC Training that we had. I have learned a lot of things and gained new friends. I will surely use and remember everything by heart. A true mountaineer will always care for the nature and its people. Don't change the mountain, let the mountain change you :-)



ABOUT THE AHON MOUNTAINEERING GROUP

Ahon was founded by Mr. James Cariaso on February, 2011. Aside from the BMC, they also held a medical mission in Rodriguez Rizal last February 21,Valentine Outreach Program in Tanay Rizal last February 14 as a month long celebration of their 5th year Anniversary. Sir James told us that they are more than willing to organize more free BMC for everyone that wants to learn more about mountaineering.

CONTACT AHON?

Want to join bmc? Participate in a medical mission? Give donations? Below are the contact details of Ahon Mountaineering Club.
Number: 09301190807- Sir James
Email: ahonmountaineerclub@gmail.com
Join their Facebbok Page: AHON MOUNTAINEERING CLUB and for OUTDOOR ENTHUASIASTS


Its time to stop blaming other people,
Its time to share our knowledge
 and educate them” -Sir James Cariaso, 2016

Feel free to leave comments!

Share:

2 comments